Fall Guys, one of the COVID-19 pandemic's biggest hits, is going free to play.
After launching on August 2020, the whimsical and colorful battle royale game gave the world just the palate cleanser it needed at a time when things were getting grim. Fall Guys' success eventually led to the purchase of its developers, Mediatonic, by Epic Games. A little over a year after new management took over, Mediatonic is now resetting Fall Guys as the formerly PlayStation-exclusive game becomes a free-to-play title for all platforms, including the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.
The new Fall Guys season, Season 1: Free for All, is a clean slate for everybody, adding a new currency, Season Pass, and so much more.
Here's everything new in Fall Guys for Season 1: Free for All
- A multi-platform release for the Xbox, Nintendo Switch, and Epic Games Store today, June 21
- Fall Guys will no longer be available on Steam
- Cross-platform play and progression across all platforms
- PS5-specific upgrades including faster loading times and improved performance
- A new currency, Show Bucks, that players can use to purchase the Season Pass
- A token of appreciation for older Fall Guys players, the Legacy Pack, which includes a nickname, nameplate, the Regal costume, the Veggie Dog costume, the Feisty Dwarf costume, as well as the Season 1 Season Pass
- Seven new rounds, such as:
- Blast Ball
- The Swiveller
- Speed Circuit
- Bounce Party
- Track Attack
Is the move to free-to-play enough to give Fall Guys a second lease in life? Most likely. If Fall Guys can reach such heights as a PlayStation exclusive, we can only imagine how its player base will grow with a multi-platform launch.
Having said that, we wouldn't be surprised if Fall Guys appear in Fortnite soon. Epic's battle royale shooter has had crossover events with several other games. It wouldn't make sense for Epic not to take advantage of one of its latest acquisitions.