Fishing is a newly added system in Genshin Impact Version 2.1. There are various kinds of fish that you can catch all over Teyvat. Some fish are required materials for crafting weapons like "The Catch". Below is a guide on how to activate the Fishing System in Genshin Impact and how to use different types of bait for each kind of fish. This guide will also talk about the fishing spots in each region and how to unlock other fishing rods.
How to unlock the Fishing System
The Fishing System is not automatically unlocked. Before you can unlock the Fishing system, you have to be at least AR 28. You also need to finish the Serenitea Pot quest and unlock the housing system first. Once you are done with both these requirements, you must talk to Katheryne in Mondstadt and she will give you a quest called "Exploding Population".
Exploding Population Quest
To start the quest, you have to talk to Katheryne in Mondstadt and she will talk about a quest involving the Fishing Association. Go to the area outside Monstadt to meet Nantuck. Talk to him and he will give you a fishing rod and fishing bait for free. You will also get the Fruit Paste Bait recipe after talking to him. Follow him and catch both a Medaka and an Ornamental Fish to complete the quest. This quest will give you 3 Hero's Wit and 30,000 Mora as well.
Catching a Fish
During the tutorial, you will learn how to catch a fish. Go near a fishing spot and cast your fishing rod. You have to keep yourself in the yellow zone or Ideal Tension Zone until the fishing meter fills up. Getting out of the Ideal Tension zone can result in losing the fish. There are other characters like Thoma that can increase your chances of getting two fish instead of one.
Different Types of Bait
There are different types of Bait and each bait can lure a different type of fish. Below is all the fishing bait you can use, how to craft them and which fish they lure. All the bait recipes can be unlocked through the Mondstadt Fishing Association, located just outside Mondstadt. You can craft these fishing baits using the crafting table that you can find in all regions.
Fruit Paste Bait
To Craft: 1 Wheat and 1 Sunsettia
- Glaze Medaka
- Sweet-Flower Medaka
- Aizen Medaka
To Craft: 1 Fowl and 1 Dendrobium
- Lunged Stickleback
- Venomspine Fish
- Akai Maou
False Worm Bait
To Craft: 1 Berry and 1 Slime Condensate
- Brown Shirakodai
- Purple Shirakodai
- Tea-colored Shirakodai
- Abiding Angelfish
- Raimei Angelfish
Fake Fly Bait
To Craft:1 Horsetail and 1 Sakura Bloom
- Golden Koi
- Rusty Koi
- Bitter Pufferfish
Different Types of Fishing Rods
Aside from fishing bait, you can also unlock various types of Fishing Rod in the game. Below are all the Fishing Rods you can unlock in the game.
Unlock this rod in the Mondstadt Fishing Association in exchange for the following:
- 20 Medaka
- 20 Aizen Medaka
- 20 Venomspine Fish
- 20 Tea-colored Shirakodai
You can unlock this rod in the Liyue Fishing Association in exchange for the following:
- 20 Medaka
- 20 Sweet-Flower Medaka
- 20 Betta
- 20 Brown Shirakodai
This Fishing Rod can be bought in the Inazuma Fishing Association:
- 20 Medaka
- 20 Glaze Medaka
- 20 Lunged Stickleback
- 20 Purple Shirakodai
This Fishing Rod is an event-exclusive item. You can only get this Fishing Rod by completing and participating in the Lunar Realm event.
The Wilderness Fishing Rod is the very first Fishing Rod given to you after unlocking the Fishing system. You can get this Fishing Rod by completing the "Exploding Population" Quest.
There are different fishing spots for each region. Using the correct Fishing Rod can also increase your chances of catching fish. Below are the fishing spots in Teyvat and the fish you can catch in each spot. Keep in mind that new fish will only spawn after 3 days in real-time.
Use the Windtangler fishing rod to increase your chances of catching a rare fish in Mondstadt.
- North of Stormterror's Lair: Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Crystalfish, and Dawncatcher.
- South of Stormterror's Lair: Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Tea-colored Shirakodai, and Dawncatcher.
- North of Starfell Lake, near the Stormbearer Mountains: Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Dawncatcher, Venomspine Fish, and Golden Koi.
- East of Mondstadt, outside the village walls: Aizen Medaka, Crystalfish, Rusty Koi, Venomspine Fish, and Tea-colored Shirakodai.
- South of Mondstadt, near the Windwail Highland: Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Akai Maou, Tea-colored Shirakodai, Pufferfish, Venomspine Fish, and Bitter Pufferfish.
- North of Galesong Hill: Medaka, Aizen Medaka, Venomspine Fish, and Tea-colored Shirakodai.
- Northwest of Dragonspine Aizen Medaka, Pufferfish, Bitter Pufferfish, Akai Maou, Tea-colored Shirakodai, Dawncatcher, and Venomspine Fish.
- On the Dragonspine lake: Medaka, Tea-colored Shirakodai, Venomspine Fish, and Snowstrider.
Use the Wishmaker fishing rod to increase your chances of catching a rare fish in Liyue.
- Northwest of the Dihua Marsh: Medaka, Sweet-Flower Medaka, Brown Shirakodai, and Dawncatcher.
- West of Dihua Marsh: Sweet-Flower Medaka, Golden Koi, Rusty Koi, Akai Maou, Brown Shirakodai, and Betta.
- Northeast of Qingce Village: Sweet-Flower Medaka, Bitter Pufferfish, Crystalfish, Brown Shirakodai, Dawncatcher, and Betta.
- East of Bishui Plain: Medaka, Brown Shirakodai,and Betta.
- Southwest of Bishui Plain: Medaka, Crystalfish, Brown Shirakodai, and Dawncatcher.
- West of Mingyun Village: Sweet-Flower Medaka, Golden Koi, Rusty Koi, Akai Maou, Brown Shirakodai, and, Betta.
- Southeast of Luhua Pool: Sweet-Flower Medaka, Golden Koi, Rusty Koi, Brown Shirakodai, Akai Maou, and Betta.
- East of Mt. Hulao: Medaka, Sweet-Flower Medaka, Crystalfish, Brown Shirakodai, Dawncatcher, and Betta.
- Southeast of Liyue Harbor: Sweet-Flower Medaka, Pufferfish, Crystalfish, Dawncatcher, and Betta.
- In the middle of Mt. Aocang: Medaka, Sweet-Flower Medaka, Crystalfish, Abiding Angelfish, and Dawncatcher.
- West of Tingqiu Valley: Medaka, Crystalfish, and Betta.
Use the Narukawa Ukai fishing rod to increase your chances of catching a rare fish in Inazuma.
- West of Ritou: Glaze Medaka, Pufferfish, Bitter Pufferfish, Akai Maou, and Lunged Stickleback.
- South of Amakane Island: Glaze Medaka, Purple Shirakodai, and Lunged Stickleback.
- North of Nazuchi Beach: Medaka, Bitter Pufferfish, Purple Shirakodai, and Lunged Stickleback.
- Southeast of Kujou Encampment: Raimei Angelfish.
- Statue of Seven in the Koseki Village: Glaze Medaka, Golden Koi, Rusty Koi, Akai Maou, Purple Shirakodai, and Lunged Stickleback.
- North of Amakumo Peak: Medaka, Pufferfish, Crystalfish, Purple Shirakodai, and Dawncatcher.
- North of Sangonomiya Shrine: Medaka, Glaze Medaka, Crystalfish, Purple Shirakodai, Dawncatcher, and Lunged Stickleback.
- East of Suigetsu Pool: Medaka, Glaze Medaka, Crystalfish, Purple Shirakodai, Dawncatcher, and Lunged Stickleback.
An Ornamental Fish is a Furniture version of the fish you caught. You can put this fish in your Serenitea Pot. Almost all fish can be caught as Ornamental fish. However, they are rare and challenging to catch compared to normal fish. There is only a 10% to 15% possibility that you will catch an Ornamental fish. You will notice a blue glowing light in the water indicating that there is an Ornamental Fish in the area. The Ornamental Fish will also jump around erratically compared to other fish who will only swim around calmly.
How to craft the Catch
The Catch is a 4-star Polearm that you can get in the Fishing Association in Inazuma. To get the Catch, you will need 20 Rusty Koi, 20 Golden Koi, and 6 Raimei Angelfish. The Fishing Association in Inazuma is located near the Konda Village. You have to talk to an NPC called Kujirai Momiji. Keep in mind that you may need to wait for multiple days because the Fish takes 3 days to respawn in each spot.
Fishing Spots for the Catch
You may need to check the following fishing spots every 3 days. You can also fish in another person's world to get the Catch faster.
- Southeast of Kujou Encampment
- Statue of Seven in the Koseki Village
- Southeast of Luhua Pool
- West of Mingyun Village
- West of Dihua Marsh
- North of Starfell Lake, near the Stormbearer Mountains
- East of Mondstadt, outside the village walls
How to Refine the Catch
To refine the catch, you will need to purchase Ako's Sake Vessel in the Inazuma Fishing Association. You will need 10 Pufferfish, 10 Bitter Pufferfish, and 3 Raimei Angelfish. Below are the best fishing spots for the refinement material of the Catch.
- South of Mondstadt, near the Windwail Highland
- Northwest of Dragonspine
- Northeast of Qingce Village
- Southeast of Liyue Harbor
- West of Ritou
- North of Nazuchi Beach
- North of Amakumo Peak
- Southeast of Kujou Encampment
The Catch Stats
The Catch is a 4-star polearm that you can purchase in the Inazuma Fishing Association. This polearm has an Energy Recharge substat. It also gives you the effect called Shanty. It increases your elemental burst damage by 16%. It also increases the CRIT Rate of your elemental burst by 6%. You can only get the Catch and its refinement materials by talking to an NPC called Kujirai Momiji in Inazuma.
Aside from crafting weapons, you can exchange the fish you caught in the Fishing Association for each region. Each Fishing Association offers different types of rewards, including new fishing rods. If you caught an Ornamental fish, you can put it in your Serenitea Pot using the Pool of Sapphire Grace. You can unlock the Pool of Sapphire Grace using 10 Medaka. You can also turn the fish that you caught into fish meat using the stove or campfire.
There are currently 10 fishing achievements that you can obtain in the game. Below are the achievements you can get and how to unlock them.
- Amateurs Hammer Nails Into Hooks: Catch a fish for the first time.
- "Do you need a fish tank to go with that?" : Catch an Ornamental fish for the first time.
- You Mirror'd Moon, Borken: Catch a fish that only appears at night.
- Ding! Ding! Ding!: Catch your 100th fish.
- "Call me Ishmael": Catch a fish in co-op mode.
- Fishy Motive: Purchase any fishing rod in the Fishing Association.
- Into the Waters: Craft 20 Fishing Bait.
- A Right Proper Angler: Discover 20 types of Fish.
- Intermission: Catch a scattered page in the Inazuma region.
- Stabilizer: Catch 10 Fish while staying in the Ideal Tension Zone for the whole duration.
There are different types of fish for each region and some fish can only appear at night. Be sure to use the appropriate Fishing Bait for each type of fish to catch them successfully.
The Fishing System is a permanent feature in Genshin Impact, added in Version 2.1. Each fishing spot can include different types of fish. There are different types of Fishing Rod and Fishing Bait. You can use the fish that you caught in exchange for a 4-star polearm called the catch or you can place them inside your Serenitea Pot. Keep in mind that the fish in each fishing spot will only respawn after 3 real-time days.