Fans who have been waiting for the continuation of Paul Atreides' journey, heads up. Gargantuan sandworms, breathtaking cinematography, and a haunting score - Warner Bros. Pictures has just released the first official trailer for Dune: Part Two, and it is glorious!
Clocking in at two and a half minutes, the trailer for the much-anticipated sequel to 2021's Dune lays the foundation for the ultimate battle, in which Paul Atreides seeks retribution for the destruction of his home and kin. It opens with a stunning shot of Paul describing the grandeur of the sea to Chani, his love interest who is a Fremen, drawing a fitting parallel to the dunes of Arrakis.
The film's premise is succinctly encapsulated by Princess Irulan, the daughter of the Emperor, who asserts, "In the shadows of Arrakis lie many secrets, but the darkest of them all may remain... the end of House Atreides." Simultaneously, we witness scenes of Harkonnen soldiers incinerating the remains of the destroyed Atreides household.
The trailer proceeds with a series of montages featuring an array of characters who will feature in the sequel, such as Gurney Halleck, Lady Jessica, Stilgar, Glossu Rabban, Vladimir Harkonnen, and his younger nephew, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen. In the trailer's standout moment Paul Atreides summons and then triumphantly rides a sandworm.
The second installment in a two-part adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel Dune will delve into the events of the book's latter half. Numerous cast members from the first film are set to reprise their roles in this sequel, including:
- Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides, the Duke of House Atreides
- Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, Paul's Bene Gesserit mother
- Zendaya as Chani, a young Fremen woman
- Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck, Paul's mentor
- Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Vladmir Harkonnen, the Atreides' sworn enemy
- Javier Bardem as Stilgar, the leader of the Fremen tribe at Sietch Tabr
Furthermore, the already star-studded cast is set to expand with the addition of new actors, including:
- Christopher Walken as Shaddam IV, the Emperor of House Corrino
- Florence Pugh as Princess Irulan, the Emperor's daughter
- Austin Butler as Feyd-Rautha, Baron Harkonnen's younger nephew
- Lea Seydoux as Lady Margot, a Bene Gesserit and close friend of the Emperor
Denis Villeneuve will once again take the helm as the director of the film, with the score being masterfully composed by Hans Zimmer. The global theatrical release of Dune: Part Two is slated for November 3.