Ryan Reynolds opens up on Hollywood break amidst Deadpool 3 uncertainty

Reynolds gets candid in an interview and reveals that he wants to spend more time with his three daughters during his break.


If you've been watching interviews of Ryan Reynolds and his wife, Blake Lively, over the years, you'll know that Reynolds is an amazing father. He's admitted before that he's always "wanted a little girl" and describes the experience as "the best". He's also made headlines in the past as he tweeted relatable experiences and thoughts about parenting his three daughters. However, being a big Hollywood star does come with a few sacrifices, so, to go back to being a full-time doting dad, he's announced that he's going to take a break from acting.

It appears that Reynolds isn't exhausted from filming. He just wants to become a doting hands-on dad once again if only for a short while.

QUICKTAKE: View the short-form version of this article or scroll to keep reading.

Reynolds steps back to give Blake Lively time for her career

Reynolds first announced his Hollywood sabbatical last October 16 after working on Spirited.

Reynolds and Lively are a powerhouse Hollywood couple that has the parenting thing down pat. Over the years, he two have made sure that at least one of them is available at home for their children. After working on several blockbusters in recent years, it appears that it's now Reynolds' turn to make way for Lively.

In an interview with Fatherly, the actor shed more light on his announcement about taking a break from making movies until the summer of 2022.

According to the Deadpool actor, he recognizes the "obscene privilege" of being able to step back from work and let his wife do her thing. He explains that a huge factor in his decision to take a break is so that his wife can focus on her career. At the same time, Reynolds revealed that he wanted to spend more time with their three daughters: James, Inez, and Betty.

MORE:  John Cena vs The Rock in the DCEU? The Suicide Squad star wants to make it happen

At the same time, the Red Notice actor describes his decision as also "purely selfish". He says that he doesn't want to "miss this time" with his kids. Reynolds is referring to how his kids are already of school age. Because of this, his kids can no longer travel with him on set anymore. Reynolds wants to make sure that he's there for them during this very crucial time and you can't knock him for that.

So, yeah, the Hollywood break is final and it will last for a while. As for Deadpool 3, Reynolds has good news for fans.

Reynolds did not explicitly say it, but it appears that the Deadpool actor wants Deadpool 3 to still have an R-rating.

Earlier this year, several reports circulated that Deadpool 3 was going to start filming in 2022. The talks came just weeks after Reynolds confirmed that Deadpool was now part of the MCU. Given that Reynolds' break ends by the time the summer of 2022 rolls around, we can expect the film to start production by then. If this is true, Deadpool 3 might premiere in late 2023 or early 2024.

In the same interview with Fatherly, Reynolds was asked if Deadpool was going to "become more family-friendly" now that it's owned by Disney. Reynolds' answer will leave fans smiling. The Canadian actor explained that he's hoping Marvel will let Deadpool "take wild swings", saying that "it's kind of what he's there for". Reynolds went even further and said that if Deadpool can't do Deadpool stuff then, "what's the point?"

2016's Deadpool and 2018's Deadpool 2 have both had R-ratings. Fans are hoping that Marvel and Disney will let Reynolds retain the same R-rating for Deadpool 3. If this is the case, then Deadpool would be the first film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to have an R-rating.

Ray Ampoloquio
Ray is based in the Philippines. He is a lifelong gamer and a PC hardware enthusiast. He builds and repairs laptops and computers for friends and family in his spare time. You can find Ray on Twitter.