Every year, players of Pokémon GO have come to expect new creatures to be added from the franchise’s past. But surprisingly, it is skipping a generation, at least for now. As part of the 5th anniversary of Pokémon GO, Niantic is bringing in new content from the fan favorite Pokemon Sword and Shield’s Galar region.
Which Galarian Pokémon will be making their first appearances in Pokémon GO during the event? Will there be Legendary Pokémon such as Zacian? Find out the details below.
Pokémon GO Fest 2021 - Ultra Unlock Part 3
The event is actually part 3 of the Ultra Unlock Event of Pokémon GO Fest 2021. This will also be the final of these Ultra Unlocks. Although fans were expecting it would be the Generation Seven Pokémon, instead, it will be Generation 8 Pokémon from the Galar region.
The in-game story for the event is Hoopa, the mythical Pokémon floating around since the Pokémon GO Fest 2021 is opening portals, bringing the Galarian creatures from Pokémon Sword and Shield, as can be seen in the official trailer:
The event will run from August 20 at 10 AM to August 31, 2021 at 8 PM (based on local time of the geographic location). During this period, Pokémon GO will have the following features active:
- Galarian Pokémon will appear more frequently. This includes Skwovet and Wooloo, as well as the region’s versions of Darumaka, Trubbish, etc. There is also a chance to find Falinks.
- Shiny Galarian – Shiny Galarian versions of Farfetch’d, Meowth, Stunfisk, and Weezing will appear during raids.
- Cosmetics – Avatar clothes for the Galar region will be added, such as the Gym Challenger Uniform (which will be free for everyone). Specialized Dragon and Dark-Type uniforms can be purchased at the shop. These will all be added on August 19, 2021 at 3 PM PDT.
- Timed Research – There will be exclusive timed events to encounter Pokémon in the Galar region.
- Stickers – Beginning August 20, 2021, there will be new event Gift Stickers for purchase. These can also be randomly given by spinning at Gyms and Pokéstops during the period.
- Eggs – 7 km eggs will have a chance of hatching Galarian versions of Darumaka, Farfetch’d, Meowth, Stunfisk, and Weezing.
Here are more details from the announcement at the official Pokémon GO site:
Hoopa’s mischief from Pokémon GO Fest 2021 continues with the final part of our Ultra Unlock event – Part 3: Sword and Shield! No one could have predicted that Pokémon originally discovered in the Galar region of Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield would be making their Pokémon GO debuts!
The final part of this year’s Ultra Unlock will feature the Pokémon GO debuts of two Legendary Pokémon first found in the Galar region, Zacian and Zamazenta, in their Hero of Many Battles forms! It appears that the one who brought them to Pokémon GO was none other than Hoopa, which recently caused mischief during Pokémon GO Fest 2021. Alongside them, Skwovet, Greedent, Wooloo, Dubwool, and Falinks will be arriving in Pokémon GO. If you’re lucky, you might even find a Shiny Galarian Meowth, a Shiny Galarian Farfetch’d, a Shiny Galarian Weezing, or a Shiny Galarian Stunfisk!
What do Skwovet, Wooloo, Falinks, Zacian, and Zamazenta have in common?
They were all originally discovered in the Galar region and will soon be making their Pokémon GO debuts during the Ultra Unlock Part 3: Sword and Shield event!https://t.co/k5EPs0pOMQ pic.twitter.com/01E54hnidV
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) August 3, 2021
During the event, there will be 2 weeks of raids which have the Galarian-specific Pokémon
Week 1 raids
Raids from Friday, August 20, 2021, at 10 AM to Thursday, August 26, 2021, at 10 AM, local time, the following will appear in raids:
- 1-star raids = Galarian Slowpoke, Galarian Farfetch’d, Unown U, and Galarian Zigzagoon, with a chance for Shiny Galarian Farfetch'd or a Shiny Unown U.
- 3-star raids = Galarian Weezing, Lapras, and Falinks, with a chance for Shiny Galarian Weezing.
- 5-star raids = Zacian in its Hero of Many Battles form.
- Raid Hour event featuring Zacian on Wednesday, August 25, 2021, from 6 PM to 7 PM local time.
- Mega raids = Mega Beedrill. Try to Mega Evolve Beedrill for an advantage versus Zacian Hero of Many Battles form.
Week 2 raids
Raids from Thursday, August 26, 2021, at 10 AM to Wednesday to September 1, 2021, at 10 AM local time, the following will appear in raids:
- 1-star raids = Galarian Meowth, Galarian Ponyta, Unown U, and Galarian Darumaka
- 3-star raids = Snorlax, Galarian Stunfisk, and Falinks
- 5-star raids = Zamazenta in its Hero of Many Battles form
- Bonus Raid Hour featuring Zamazenta on Monday, August 30, 2021, from 6 PM. to 7 PM, local time.
- Mega raids = Mega Pidgeot. Try to Mega Evolve Pidgeot for an advantage versus Zamazenta Hero of Many Battles form.
But what about Sun and Moon’s Alola region?
There are some fans who are disappointed that Pokémon Sun and Moon’s Alola region and the Generation Seven Pokémon are being skipped. However, this is not entirely the case. As this is only part of the Ultra Unlock events, it is tied more to the overall celebration of Pokémon GO’s 5th anniversary. As far as that goes, this means it has temporary availability, which does not mean Generation Seven is being completely abandoned.
Moreover, the marketing for this 5th year anniversary includes images of Alola region creatures. So it is likely that Alola region from Pokémon Sun and Moon will be coming to the augmented reality mobile game sooner or later. But skipping the content from Pokémon Sun and Moon is just another sticking point for fans, especially with the decision to move away from the stay-at-home elements that made players happy during the pandemic.