Marvel’s Secret Invasion, which kicks off Phase 5 of the MCU for Disney+ has been delayed according to a new rumor, even if Marvel has yet to announce an official release date for the upcoming TV show.
Secret Invasion is a six-part TV miniseries starring Samuel L. Jackson as the returning Nick Fury alongside Emilia Clarke who is making her MCU debut. The upcoming miniseries is being directed by Thomas Bezucha and Ali Selim. Marvel previously teased that the series is coming early in 2023, but it looks like it will come out closer to the summer instead.
Twitter user MCU Status shared information that the series has been pushed back to a later date. In addition, the Marvel insider also hinted that the Disney+ slate for the MCU remains a mystery at this point. Only Secret Invasion and Loki Season 2 has been confirmed for the streaming service.
"[SecretInvasion] is coming in May. Not March 8th (even though Disney internal still thinks so)," MCU Status tweeted. "I said earlier the Mandalorian’s 3/1/23 premiere pretty much guaranteed it moving, but I do know now. The [Disney+] slate for 2023 is a good mystery especially after Feige’s words."
#SecretInvasion is coming in May. Not March 8th (even though Disney internal still thinks so 😆). I said earlier the Mandalorian’s 3/1/23 premiere pretty much guaranteed it moving, but I do know now. The D+ slate for 2023 is a good mystery especially after Feige’s words.
— MCU Status (@MCUStatus) February 16, 2023
There is some credence to the information given March 8 is just three weeks away. Marvel would surely have announced the release date Secret Invasion by now if it was intended to debut in March. The studio also has not released a new trailer for the upcoming TV show.
There is speculation that What If, Agatha: Coven of Chaos, Ironheart, and Echo will be delayed. The shows may air in 2024 given the comments from Marvel and Disney.
Earlier this month, both Kevin Feige and Bob Iger revealed that Disney+ will have fewer Marvel TV shows. Marvel is now focusing on the quality and costs involved in producing MCU shows.
Disney CEO Bob Iger said that the company needs to be "better at curating" shows that are "extraordinarily expensive." He adds, "We want the quality on the screen, but we have to look at what they cost us."
Kevin Feige also confirmed that Marvel will be making fewer shows and spacing out content starting this year. He went on to say that Marvel will continue making shows.
"I guess the learnings have been that you are rewarded creatively and by the audience by going to unexpected places," Feige said. "We always knew that to a certain extent, but it's fun to see. We want to do shows that can only be shows. I want to continue to make them even more episodic, which may seem counterintuitive. But I do think there is something fun about leaning back and watching an episode that can be relatively self-contained."
Hopefully, Marvel releases more information about the upcoming shows soon. Fans are eagerly waiting for new content on Disney+.