Crystalis, originally released in Japan as God Slayer: Haruka Tenkū no Sonata (ゴッド・スレイヤー はるか天空のソナタ, lit. "God Slayer: Sonata of the Far Away Sky"), is a 1990 action RPG/action-adventure video game produced by SNK for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
Though Crystalis never became a runaway hit, it is now considered a cult classic. The game's initial success prompted a release for the Game Boy Color by Nintendo Software Technology in 2000, which is generally considered more of a remake than a simple port. Many changes were made to the story, music, and other aspects of the game, upsetting fans of the original.
The game begins with a man's awakening from a cryogenic sleep one hundred years after a global nuclear war. Even though he is unable to recall his name or who he was, he begins to discover that he may be the key to save this world from destruction. Aided by four wise sages and a mysterious woman, he rises up against the tyrannical Draygonia Empire to ensure that humanity ultimately has a future.
Jul 01, 1990
- The game begins with a young magician awakening from the cryogenic sleep he was placed in by the villains of the Great War before nuclear war rained down in the year 1997.
- The world is presented in a top-down perspective so the player character can be moved in eight directions using the control pad.
- The primary means of defeating monsters is through the use of four elemental swords scattered throughout the game (the fifth sword, Crystalis, is obtained in the final dungeon).
- Crystalis takes place in a post-apocalyptic world in 2097.
- The anonymous male protagonist and his female accomplice, Mesia, are scientists who were cryogenically frozen.
- The protagonist is assisted by four sages named Zebu, Tornel, Asina, and Kensu.
The Last Worker
The Last Worker is a first person narrative adventure centered around our struggle in an increasingl...
Chaos on Deponia
The second game in the Deponia series is set in a whimsically cartoonish future world and is defined...
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
The king of the Netherworld is dead. Join his son, Laharl, as he embarks on a quest to take his rig...
Fear Effect is an action-adventure game developed by Kronos Digital Entertainment and published by E...
9 Years of Shadows
9 Years of Shadows is an emotionally-driven metroidvania enhanced by healing music that tells the st...
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ – one of the most critically acclaimed games ever made...
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
In Uncharted 2, as in the other Uncharted games, the hero is the adventurer and hidden treasure seek...
Grand Theft Auto IV
GTA goes back to Liberty City with the sixth entry into the main Grand Theft Auto series (and eleven...
The Last Of Us
The population of the Earth almost disappeared as a result of a pandemic caused by a mutated fungus....
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption is a third-person open-world adventure game which implements the Wild West at it...