Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
Released in 2009, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 brings players back into the action. Join the members of Task Force 141, led by Captain John Price, Sergeat Gary “Roach” Sanderson, Captain “Soap” MacTavish, and Lieutenant Simon “Ghost” Riley, as they battle Vladimir Makarov and his Ultranationalists, as well as other terrorists. In the end, they must unravel the conspiracy involving Lt. General Shepherd and Shadow Company. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 features an expansive single player campaign, while also adding new features new multiplayer features and modes.
Plot and location
In the campaign mode of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the battles take place from Rio de Janeiro, to Washington D.C., Afghanistan, Virginia, Siberia, Kazakhstan, and Russia. The main campaign has the player take on the role of Sergeant Roach of Task Force 141 and Private James Ramirez of the Army Rangers. Later on in the campaign, Soap becomes playable for the final three missions.
The plot begins with an urban defense of the capitol in Washington D.C. from a Russian invasion. Despite the success in preventing nuclear war from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the Ultranationalists still wind up taking control of Russia. Vladimir Makarov, leader of the Ultranationalists, commits to a bloody five year campaign of terrorism.
After successfully securing an ACS (Attack Characterization System) module, the Ultranationalists launch a surprise invasion of the East Coast. In the midst of this conflict, Task Force 141 is performing rescue missions, ultimately freeing Captain John Price. Task Force 141 manages to save the White House. But by the end, they are betrayed by General Shepherd, leading to a final showdown between what remains of Task Force 141 and Shepherd’s private army.
The standard gameplay for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) is essentially the same from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War. However, there are a few modifications to the HUD.
The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) HUD is more streamlined and smaller than in the previous installment. There is also no hit point or life bar. Instead, the HUD will have blood splattered on the screen to indicate how much the player is injured. By resting, the injured status improves, as the player regains health and the blood effects fade.
Create-a-Class returns and can be unlocked at Level 4. A new slot for Equipment is now available, instead of just a default M67 Frag Grenade. Equipment choices can either be a Blast Shield, Claymore, C4, Semtex, or a Throwing Knife. Plus, more weapons and equipment can be unlocked for Create-a-Class at higher levels.
Visuals and other features
With the IW engine 4.0, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) features enhanced graphics, bigger environments, and better rendering than its predecessor Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) features three different game modes: Campaign, Spec Ops, and Multiplayer. Spec Ops includes 23 different levels that can be played solo or via 2-player co-op. Each Spec Ops level has specific conditions and five different tiers of difficulty.
Meanwhile, multiplayer lets players compete in team-based and deathmatch style games. Players in multiplayer can achieve killstreaks by downing three opposing players in a row without being killed. A killstreak can give the player tactical bonuses and advantages during the match, such as a Predator missile, a sentry gun, and even a tactical nuke. On the flip side, players that get killed and respawn three times in a row without scoring a kill themselves triggers a deathstreak that evens out the playing field.
Multiplayer performance is tracked with experience points. These can be used to unlock new equipment, weapons and perks.
Release DateNov 10, 2009
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported
- GPU: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600 XT or better
- RAM: 1 GB
- HDD: 12 GB of free hard drive space
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 2009 was at one point the Most Played Online Video Game in history, according to the Guinness World Records.
- Monster Energy released Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 themed cans for their energy drinks at the time of the game’s release.
- The soldier on the cover of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) is actually Infinity Ward developer Mark Rubin.
- In a different video game, Far Cry 3, Willis Huntley makes a reference to Task Force 141 from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. He says he’s flying out to Russia with Task Force 141.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) broke the record held by Grand Theft Auto IV for being the most successful video game launch of all time.
- The record held for most successful video game launch by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) would later be broken by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and Grand Theft Auto V.
- The game was seen in the movie Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lighting Thief. However, there were two errors that can be seen by fans of the game. First, the actor seen playing is in a Team Deathmatch, but paused the game (as if it is in the single player campaign mode). The second error is that the actor is using a Sony Playstation 3 controller, but the in-game screen has the Xbox 360 button layout.
- Another pop culture reference was made in an episode of Family Guy. In the episode titled April in Quahog, Peter Griffin is playing a Team Deathmatch onf Favela as Task Force 141. He strugges to control the Xbox 360, leading to dying multiple times to a player named fourzerotwo on their game tag. This is a reference to Infinity Ward’s Robert Bowling.
- In the game, players may notice car license plates that read as IW20094. This is a reference to Infinity Ward. The numbers represent the year Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was released, and the 4 is a nod to the game being the fourth developed by Infinity Ward (with Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare being the first 3).
Game EngineIW Engine 4.0
It's time to do your part in the action packed battles of the World War II Pacific campaign! Pick yo...
Battlefield 2 is an action-shooter game developed by Digital Illusions. It came out on 21-06-2005. I...
Continuing the science fiction theme from Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Call of Duty: Black Ops III ta...
Call of Duty: Black Ops is a first-person shooter, a seventh installment in the series altogether an...
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One is a historical-military first-person shooter developed by Treyarch and ...
The eleventh game in the Battlefield series, a direct sequel to Battlefield 2. You can play for 4 c...
The restart Released in 2016, the remastered version of one of the most revolutionary parts of the ...
Set during World War 2, Call of Duty 2 is the direct sequel to the first mega-popular first person s...
The sequel to Battlefield: Bad Company is the ninth game in the Battlefield series overall. The plot...
Battlefield 1 is a first-person action shooter set in the historical period of the World War I. Alth...