This is the second year of the Summer Game Fest after Geoff Keighley's gaming celebration made its debut back in 2020. Summer Game Fest 2021 was a lot bigger than last year. Notable publishers and developers like Bandai Namco Entertainment and Gearbox Software joined in all the fun, with Hideo Kojima making an appearance as well.
Unfortunately, keeping up with all that was announced during the two-hour run can be difficult if not impossible for the casual viewer.
By now, most of you have probably heard of Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Elden Ring, and Death Stranding: Director's Cut. These three titles were the biggest draws of Summer Game Fest 2021.
However, Summer Game Fest 2021 saw more than 30+ games featured and showcased, which is a lot and why you might have missed out on some of them.
So, what were the other things that were announced at Summer Game Fest 2021? Read on to find out.
Metal Slug Tactics Puts a New Spin on Classic Franchise
Metal Slug was a huge game back in the days. The run and gun side-scrolling shooter was a huge hit in the arcades and saw numerous sequels, spin-offs, and remakes over the years. The latest title, Metal Slug XX, was released in 2009, which means that there's potentially an entire generation of gamers that weren't exposed to Metal Slug.
Metal Slug Tactics is going to change that, albeit while also making a couple of changes to the classic Metal Slug formula. According to the publishers, Dotemu, Metal Slug Tactics will feature grid-based tactical role-playing gameplay infused with roguelike elements.
Jeff Goldblum Announces Jurassic World Evolution 2
Frontier Development's park building simulator, Jurassic World Evolution, received mixed reactions when it was released in 2018. Yet, it must have sold enough to warrant a sequel in Jurassic World Evolution 2 with Jeff Goldblum announcing the game himself.
Considering that Jeff Goldblum is set to reprise his role as Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic World: Dominion, Jurassic World Evolution 2 is a great way to drum up excitement for the upcoming feature film.
Jurassic World Evolution 2 is expected to launch in late 2021 on the PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S/X, as well as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Amazon Brings Korean MMO Lost Ark Westward
The popular Korean MMO, Lost Ark, is developed by Smilegate RPG and was released in South Korea back in 2018. Since then, it's been exclusive to the Korean regions outside of beta tests in Russia and Japan, until now.
Even though no details about the upcoming Amazon MMO could be found at Summer Game Fest 2021, Amazon Games still found a way to make its presence felt. The newly formed game development leg of the international e-commerce company will be responsible for bringing over the popular MMOARPG to North America and Europe on the PC in Fall 2021.
Call of Duty: Warzone Season 4’s Debut
The Season 4 trailer for Call of Duty: Warzone dropped at Summer Game Fest 2021. It confirms speculations and rumors that Warzone will continue running in parallel with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. In particular, Season 4 will introduce new story elements and multiple gameplay changes to both games. This includes a new villain a satellite crashing on Verdansk, and new landing locations for players.
From what we can tell in the trailer, Season 4 will bring dirt bikes as drivable vehicles while introducing at least one new weapon.
Free Guy Is All A Go for August 2021
Ryan Reynold's newest film, Free Guy, was initially scheduled to release last July 2020. Since then, the premiere date has been pushed back three times. The latest is August 13, 2021, which seems like a final date after Ryan Reynolds popped in to advertise the GTA-inspired film himself at Summer Game Fest 2021.
The Future of Among Us
InnerSloth just announced the latest roadmap for its hit multiplayer title, Among Us. For the next update, Among Us will see the addition of new jobs, animations, and roles, including a brand new Hide & Seek mode.
Brand New Solar Ash Gameplay Trailer
A new gameplay trailer from Heart Machine, the makers of 2016's award-winning indie title, Hyper Light Drifter, dropped at Summer Game Fest 2021 and showed audiences more of the fluid movement, as well as the immersive world, expected from the game. Unfortunately, a more specific release date or release window outside of 2021 was not confirmed.
Chivalry 2 Launch Trailer
A follow-up to 2012's Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, the multiplayer medieval hack-and-slash title, Chivalry 2, just got a new launch trailer.
Chivalry was released on June 8, 2021.
Riot Games Tease a New VALORANT Agent
VALORANT, Riot Game's squad-based tactical shooter, is going to get a brand-new agent soon as revealed in a short trailer.
Two Point Hospital Gets a University Sequel
After Two Point Hospital, Two Point Studios and SEGA are doubling down (get it?) on the series' formula with the release of Two Point Campus.
Two Point Campus was leaked earlier in May and will change the setting of the cheeky management simulator from the hospital to the university. Two Point Campus is expected to launch sometime in 2022.
First Evil Dead: The Game Gameplay Trailer
Bruce Campbell lent his voice as the narrator for the first Evil Dead: The Game gameplay trailer that showed off what kind of monstrosities players can expect to face off against and play as in the third-person action title.
Judging from the looks of it, Evil Dead: The Game should play similarly to games like Dead By Daylight.
House of Ashes Monster Reveal
House of Ashes' latest trailer shows off the monsters that will stalk players as they venture deep inside a cursed temple.
More Summer Game Fest 2021 Announcements
Here are some of the other announcements that you might have missed at Summer Game Fest 2021:
- Shedworks' Sable now has a September 2021 release date with a moving performance from Japanese Breakfast.
- The free-to-play MOBA title from Hi-Rez is going to get a Stranger Things-themed map on June 13 as part of its next battle pass.
- Prime Matter is working on a new sequel to the Painkiller video game series as the publisher.
- Former Valve developer, Chet Faliszek, is working on a stylish sci-fi four-player co-op shooter, The Anacrusis.
- PlayStation Indies Head, Shuhhei Yoshida, just dropped a brand-new trailer for an upcoming sequel to 2016's Salt and Sanctuary. Salt and Sacrifice is expected to release in 2022.
- Fast & Furious and Rocket League will have a crossover on June 17.
- Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodhunt is set to release in late 2021.
- Thatgamecompany's Sky: Children of the Light will release on June 29 for the Nintendo Switch.
- House of Lana will be released on the PC via Steam and Xbox consoles.
- Hi-Rez Studios' Paladins: Champions of the Realm will have a Gen:Lock crossover later in July 2021.
- SEGA is still working on Endless Dungeon.
- Fall Guys will be receiving new content based on NieR: Automata.
- Deviation Games just signed on to join PlayStation in creating new video games for the gaming platform.
- Turtle Rock Studios just dropped a new trailer for its four-player co-op shooter, Back 4 Blood.
- Finji's Zelda-like indie title, Tunic, is currently in the works. It's unknown if it's still on track to release in 2021.
- Gearbox and Norsfell's colorful Viking survival adventure game, Tribes of Midgard, is set to release on July 27.