Is Star Wars Battlefront 3 going to happen? Probably not. While most fans expected Electronic Arts and DICE to shift their focus towards the next Star Wars Battlefront games after Battlefield 2042, it appears that EA's executives aren't too keen on the idea. Instead, it's far more likely that we'll get the next Battlefield before we see Star Wars Battlefront 3, if it even happens at all.
Why fans shouldn't expect Star Wars Battlefront 3 anytime soon
Star Wars is arguably one of the few mainstream entertainment franchises that has spawned a line of great video games. There has been a handful of high-quality Star Wars games released over the years, but many consider 2017's Star Wars Battlefront II as the best Star Wars game ever. What makes Star Wars Battlefront II particularly unique is that fans reviled it at the start. It had one of the greediest loot box mechanics ever, prompting massive fan backlash that forced EA and DICE to change their minds and release free updates for Battlefront II in following years.
Having said that, the massive eventual success of Battlefront II suggested that EA and DICE would release a sequel at some point. Many believed that Battlefront III would come as soon as EA and DICE were done with Battlefield 2042. Unfortunately, it appears that this isn't the case.
Battlefront 3 was a pitched title from DICE, but ultimately, the title was shot down by EA due to licensing costs.
“It got turned down because it takes 20% more sales to make the same money”, said one past developer.
— Tom Henderson (@_Tom_Henderson_) November 20, 2021
According to trusted Battlefield leaker, Tom Henderson, EA executives "turned down" the idea of Battlefield III due to licensing costs. Henderson quoted an unnamed developer in his tweet, saying that, "[Battlefront 3 got] turned down because it takes 20% more sales to make the same money." Admittedly, this is a fair point. Star Wars is a massive franchise and licensing comes at a premium. Even if EA and DICE stand to make a killing out of Battlefront III, the potential licensing costs could make it a less lucrative venture compared to other options.
If it's any consolation, Henderson did claim that EA is working on two other Star Wars titles. We can only assume that Henderson was talking about the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake for the PS5 by Aspyr Media and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 2, which was "confirmed" earlier this year.
Of course, neither DICE nor EA has confirmed Henderson's statement. We don't think that EA is going to just pass up the chance to make Battlefront 3 and we're pretty sure that all parties involved can work something out, especially when it comes to the licensing costs. Until then, we can assume that Battlefront III isn't coming anytime soon. This way, once it does get announced, it will come as a genuine surprise.