Dwayne Johnson says no to real guns on set following Rust shooting

Dwayne Johnson vows to make the switch to using rubber guns in movies going forward following the tragic on-set events in Alec Baldwin's movie.


Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. He made a name for himself starring in big action movies that feature set pieces involving lots and lots of guns. However, while Johnson doesn't plan on stopping filming action films going forward, it appears that he'll no longer use real guns in his movie sets in the future.

Johnson doesn't want his production company to use real guns on set anymore.

Johnson steps up following the fatal shooting in Rust

We can only hope that Johnson's actions can inspire others to do the same.

A shocking incident shook the entire world last month when news broke that one person had died and another was injured on the set of the upcoming Western movie, Rust. After an investigation, police found out that the film's star, Alec Baldwin, had misfired a loaded prop gun that proceeded to injure the film's director, Joel Souza, as well as kill cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins. The criminal investigation is still ongoing and it remains to be seen what kind of changes will be made to the production of Hollywood movies going forward.

While speaking to Variety during the red carpet premiere of his upcoming Netflix film, Red Notice, Johnson vowed that all films produced by Seven Bucks Productions will start using rubber guns. Johnson specifically states that all projects handled by his company "won't use real guns at all". He added that his company will "take care" of all the gun effects post-production. He proceeded to clarify that safety is more important than money.

Johnson is one of the biggest figures in Hollywood to take such a strong stand against the use of guns in films in the aftermath of Rust's infamous incident. Many also recalled previous accidents following the said tragedy. Case in point, Brandon Lee, the son of Bruce Lee, died following a prop gun mishap while filming The Crow.

Johnson's stance is a big move for someone who constantly stars in action films involving lots of guns.

We hope that Johnson's stance can inspire other production companies to do the same. As the second-highest-paid actor this year, Johnson's platform is big enough that he can make industry-wide changes just by taking a stand. Keep in mind that Seven Bucks produces several of the actor's films, including the resurrected Jumanji films, as well as the Fast and Furious spin-offs, Hobbs & Shaw. Seven Bucks is also producing Johnson's DCEU debut, Black Adam.

At the moment, further investigations are still underway to find out exactly why the prop guns were loaded in the first place and who is responsible for it. In the meantime, it is up to figures like Johnson, as well as production companies and studio executives, to make sure that things like this will never happen again.

Speaking of Johnson, he recently spoke about wanting a Marvel-DC crossover to happen in the future. He also recently revealed that he still receives jokes about his feud with former Fast and Furious co-star, Vin Diesel.

Ray Ampoloquio
Ray is a lifelong gamer with a nose for keeping up with the latest news in and out of the gaming industry. When he's not reading, writing, editing, and playing video games, he builds and repairs computers in his spare time. You can find Ray on Twitter.
Comparison List (0)
Joe Jonas auditioned to play Peter Parker in The Amazing Spider-Man Ubisoft reveals Far Cry 6 expansion is coming soon Elon Musk hires PlayStation 3 hacker to help fix Twitter Marvel's Avengers future looks "grim" according to leaks Call of Duty: Warzone 2 players are selling M13B drops on Ebay Logan Paul out for at least six more weeks Wordle 527 for today - November 28: hints and answers Need for Speed Unbound footage leaks online ahead of December 2 launch Nickelodeon's Avatar is headed to Minecraft as DLC The Callisto Protocol is locking death animations behind a paywall