New maps, characters, weapons, and updated features abound in the first major update for Genshin Impact: Dragonspine.
Genshin Impact’s parent company miHoYo just released update 1.2 as of December 23, 2020. There is a ton of new content for players across the globe to discover and farm for, just in time for the Christmas celebrations. Check out the overview of details for Genshin Impact’s Dragonspine update below.
Update 1.2 Event
As soon as you update and login to Genshin Impact, this will trigger the Chalk Prince and the Dragon Event. During the event, there will be Acts that lead to challenges on the following dates: December 23, 25, 28, and 31. You will be able to acquire the Festering Desire sword (see details in the New Dragonspine Weapons section) in this event.
Completing the Archon Quest Prologue: Act II For a Tomorrow Without Tears and the new character Albedo's Story Quest Princeps Cretaceus Chapter will allow the players to access the event "The Chalk Prince and the Dragon." During the event, Genshin Impact players can unlock the Princeps Cretaceus Chapter without spending a Story Key.
After the event, players will need to following requirements to unlock the Pinceps Cretaceus Chapter:
- Reach Adventure Rank 40 or above
- complete Prologue: Act II "For a Tomorrow Without Tears”
- Consume 1 Story Key.
Dragonspine: A New Map Area for Genshin Impact
If you have explored the entirety of Genshin Impact’s initial map areas, update 1.2 opens up the snowy locales of Dragonspine! The area is comprised of tundras and mountain ranges, which contrasts sharply with the lush green of the original map areas such as Liyue and Monstadt.
You can be seen from the outskirts of Mingyun Village, toward the eastern coast. It is located in the middle of Liyue and Monstadt. From the map, it can be clearly seen as a blue-white area, indicating its snow-covered regions. Landmarks include the Starglow Cavern, Skyfrost Nail, and Wyrmrest Valley.
One of the cool (pun intended) mechanics with Dragonspine is the temperature. The biting Subzero Climate of the region can cause frostbite which is indicated by a blue bar on the UI. Players in the Dragonspire areas will progressively accumulate the Sheer Cold effect. Other features in the locale can speed this up, such as moving through water and snowstorms. Once this Sheer Cold bar is filled up, the effect will cause continuous damage that cannot be removed without special items.
Thankfully, this can be countered by sources of heat. The following can be used to stave off the Sheer Cold:
- Fires – naturally, fire sources can be used against the cold weather of Dragonspine. Make a fire using bonfires, braziers, torches, and such. Approaching locations with these (such as cooking areas) will reduce the Sheer Cold.
- Warming Seelies – a new type of Warming Seelies are in Dragonspine. If you are in close proximity to a Warming seelie in the area, it will decrease the Sheer Cold accumulated. Aside from that, it may be rewarding, as fire seelies can unlock treasures!
- Food – eating Goulash can protect you from Sheer Cold for 15 minutes at a time. Complete the "Ah, Fresh Meat!" quest in Dragonspine to obtain the recipe. It requires carrots, meat, and tomato to cook goulash.
- Scarlet Quartz – scattered in Dragonspine are Scarlet Quartz. These are red rocks or crystals that you can hit with skills or weapon attacks. Once they explode, the character will receive a buff called Scarlet Quartz. You will recognize this by a a red glow around the character. While the buff is active, the character is immune to Sheer Cold.
- Warming Bottle – You can make a Warming bottle that provides heat, preventing Sheer Cold from accumulating. This requires Flaming Flower Stamen and Starsilver. You can only begin to create Warming Bottles after reaching a Frostbearing Tree level of 4 or higher.
- Waypoints – Being within the vicinity of waypoints and Statues of the Seven protects against the Sheer Cold effect.
New Weapons and Artifacts
As expected, with a new area and new quests to explore comes shiny new toys to acquire. Dragonspine has the following new weapons and artifacts:
New Dragonspine Weapons
Summit Shaper (5-Star Sword)
- A symbol of a legendary pact, this sharp blade once cut off the peak of a mountain.
- Increases wielder's shield strength (when the wielder is on the field, any currently active shield absorbs an additional amount of DMG). On hit, gives an ATK boost (max 5 stacks). When under the protection of a shield, the ATK boost effect increases by 100%.
Festering Desire (4-Star Sword)
- A creepy straight sword that almost seems to yearn for life. It drips with a shriveling venom that could even corrupt a mighty dragon.
- Complete the Story Quest "Princeps Cretaceus Chapter: Act I" and the event quest "Festering Desire" to receive the exclusive sword, Festering Desire. During the event, the character that equips this sword will receive some special buffs while exploring the Dragonspine area.
Snow-Tombed Starsilver (4-Star Claymore)
- An ancient greatsword that was stored between frescoes. Forged from Starsilver, it has the power to cleave through ice and snow.
- Hitting an opponent with Normal and Charged Attacks has a chance of forming and dropping an Everfrost Icicle above them, dealing AoE ATK DMG. Opponents affected by Cryo are dealt further ATK DMG. Can only occur once in a specified period.
Dragonspine Spear (4-Star Polearm)
- A spear created from the fang of a dragon. It is oddly warm to the touch.
- Hitting an opponent with Normal and Charged Attacks has a chance of forming and dropping an Everfrost Icicle above them, dealing AoE ATK DMG.
- Opponents affected by Cryo are dealt further ATK DMG. Can only occur once in a specified period.
Frostbearer (4-Star Catalyst)
- A fruit that possesses a strange, frosty will. A faint sense of agony emanates from it.
- Hitting an opponent with Normal and Charged Attacks has a chance of forming and dropping an Everfrost Icicle above them, dealing AoE ATK DMG. Opponents affected by Cryo are dealt further ATK DMG. This can only occur once in a specified period.
New Dragonspine Artifact Sets
Blizzard Strayer (4–5 Stars)
- 2-Piece Set: Receive a Cryo DMG Bonus.
- 4-Piece Set: Increased CRIT Rate when attacking enemies affected by Cryo. If the enemy is Frozen, CRIT Rate is increased further.
Heart of Depth (4–5 Stars)
- 2-Piece Set: Receive a Hydro DMG Bonus
- 4-Piece Set: After using Elemental Skill, increases Normal Attack and Charged Attack DMG for a period of time.
New Dragonspine Monsters
What, you didn’t expect to have no new monsters to fight now, did you? Dragonspine has a bevy of new churls and fatui to make life miserable for players of Genshin Impact:
- Churls - Cryo Samachurl, Ice Shield Hilichurl Guard, Cryo Hilichurl Grenadier, Ice Shieldwall Mitachurl, Lawachurl
- Fatui: Cryo Cicin Mage, Cryo Cicin
- Ruin Grader
New Dragonspine Characters
Of course, a new Genshin Impact update would not be complete without new gacha characters for players to try to acquire (and curse the RNG gods for every failed attempt!). Dragonspine introduces us to the Geo-specialist Kreideprinz Albedo of the Knights of Favonius and the Cryo bow-user Penilune Gaze Ganyu.
5-Star Character "Kreideprinz" Albedo (Geo)
A genius known as the Kreideprinz, he is the Chief Alchemist and Captain of the Investigation Team of the Knights of Favonius.
- Vision: Geo
- Weapon: Sword
- Elemental Skill "Abiogenesis: Solar Isotoma" - Albedo creates a Solar Isotoma using the power of alchemy. When an enemy takes DMG within its range, a Transient Blossom is generated, dealing additional Geo DMG. The center of the Solar Isotoma can also provide a crystallized platform to elevate characters.
- Elemental Burst "Rite of Progeniture: Tectonic Tide" - Deals AoE Geo DMG in a wide area, and also generates Fatal Blossoms in the Solar Isotoma zone, causing additional Geo DMG.
5-Star Character "Plenilune Gaze" Ganyu (Cryo)
The secretary at Yuehai Pavilion. The blood of the qilin, an illuminated beast, flows within her veins.
- Vision: Cryo
- Weapon: Bow
- Elemental Skill "Trail of the Qilin" - Ganyu conjures an Ice Lotus that taunts enemies, drawing their attacks and dealing AoE Cryo DMG when it disappears.
- Elemental Burst "Celestial Shower" - Rains down shards of ice over a large area, dealing Cryo DMG.
The Frostbearing Tree
The Frostbearing Tree is a critical feature and location in Dragonspine. It can be leveled up by acquiring Crimson Agates. Crimson Agates have a limited number on the Dragonspine maps, but doing the Crimson Wish Challenge and yield more. Leveling up the Frostbearing Tree can be worthwhile, as it rewards the Frostbearer Catalyst (at level 10) and the unique Wing Glider- Wings of Concealing Snow (at level 12).
Prepare for the Cold and Explore Dragonspine
Are you ready to face the chill? Download Genshin Impact’s Update 1.2 and head out to Dragonspine, Traveller! And keep your eye out for more in-depth guides of this new realm of adventure at Xfire.com.
After its 15th Anniversary celebrations, Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) has received update 48.5 which also heralds the start of a new season of...
Just in case you missed it, the Genshin Impact PS5 Upgrade is going to arrive later in Spring 2021. The developers, MiHoYo, announced the...
Genshin Impact has several rumored playable characters that are yet to be made available in the game. One of the biggest and most highly...