Old school Diablo fans are getting ready to return to the ruins of Tristram. Hot on the heels of the Blizzcon 2021, Blizzard has announced and released information on the HD remaster of the classic Diablo 2. Entitled Diablo 2 Resurrected, the game will feature updated graphics, revised gameplay, and availability on multiple platforms.
Read on and get all the breaking news and details on Diablo 2 Resurrected that Xfire has gathered so far!
Diablo 2 Announcement and Trailer
After the Blizzard convention press kit leak, Blizzconline 2021 was buzzing with anticipation for a confirmation the details. Included in the leak were details about World of Warcraft, however it was only minimal information on other games in the Blizzard stable of Diablo franchise, such as Diablo 4, Diablo Eternal, and Diablo Resurrected.
During the February 19 leg of Blizzcon 2021, the announcement trailer was released on Twitter and YouTube:
? ? ?
? Diablo, ?
? Lord ?
? of ? ?
— Diablo (@Diablo) February 19, 2021
The Diablo 2 Resurrected trailer displays samples, comparing the graphics of the original and the updates. The original Diablo 2 was rendered using 2D sprites, utilizing cutting edge technology of the time, to give the effect of a 3D environment.
This time around, the team handling the remaster used a more modern 3D graphics engine. But instead of redesigning everything from scratch, the entire Diablo 2 and its sequel, Lord of Destruction, was recreated. All the visuals, from the characters, to the monsters, the maps, and the spell effects, have been rebuilt as they appeared but in glorious 4K resolution. The cinematics for the cut scenes have also received the modern update treatment.
Not to be outdone in the sound department, the game will also have updated audio. The music, sound effects, and even the voice recordings have been improved. The original voice actors for the playable characters and NPCs have returned. Everything has been recorded with Dolby Sound 7.1 support.
Furthermore, according to Rod Fergusson, executive producer and current head of the Diablo franchise development, Diablo 2 Resurrected is not a remake. Fergusson states that the core gameplay and mechanics of the classic Diablo 2. There are no new missions or areas that are not in the original. The philosophy is that the team focused on producing a truly effective remaster that is faithful to the original.
Included with this remaster are all the playable characters from Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction: The Amazon, The Assassin, The Barbarian, The Druid, The Necromancer, The Paladin, and The Sorceress. No word on any additional classes being added from other installments of the franchise such as The Monk, The Demon Hunter, or The Witch Doctor.
Diablo 2 Gameplay and Presentation
Based on the current trailers and clips released by Blizzard, all of the familiar elements from the groundbreaking Diablo 2 action RPG have been retained. But there are also some notable quality of life improvements. Among them:
- A shared storage chest for all of a player’s characters. The personal stash will also be slightly bigger. This is a modern convenience that most multiplayer and MMO games incorporate.
- Updated tooltips. Hovering over items in the inventory will now also compare the stats and features with what the character currently has equipped.
- Automatic gold pick up. No more searching on the battlefield and clicking every time you hear the jingle of gold dropping.
- Cross platform cooperative gameplay. A first for Diablo 2, players using different platforms will now be able to travel and adventure together!
- Controller Support. As most gamers on PC use controllers today, Diablo 2 Resurrected will feature full button mapping and other controller features.
- Cross Progression. Another new feature for Diablo 2 Resurrected is the ability to progress the same characters on different platforms. However, this will not be featured on launch. Moreover, you will have to purchase the game separately for each platform you intend to use it on.
- Offline mode. Diablo 2 Resurrected will require online authentication for the first time and if any updates are required. However, the game will be fully playable offline beyond these requirements.
Most of these new features can be turned on or off, if the player chooses. This is great for those who like to play in the original style. Moreover, the original Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction will still be available on the Blizzard store. Battle.net servers for Diablo 2 Resurrected will be separate.
One thing that may turn off some players is that mods for Diablo 2 will not work on Diablo 2 Resurrected. This will also prevent known bugs and exploits. Blizzard is also quick to point out that this effort will effectively dissuade existing item duping methods. Botting will also be difficult in conjunction with the updates to the current Battle.net layout.
Diablo 2 PC System Requirements and Alpha
Diablo 2 Resurrected will be available for play on Windows PC, as well as the Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S and Series X. There is no word on Mac compatibility. The system requirements for Windows PC are as follows:
- Minimum PC requirements: Intel Core i3-3250 or AMD FX-4350 equivalent processor, Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7850 equivalent GPU. 30GB free Hard Drive Space.
- Recommended PC requirements: Intel Core i5-9600K or AMD Ryzen 5 2600 equivalent, Windows 10, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT GPU, 30GB Hard Drive Space.
The minimum PC requirements for Diablo 2 Resurrected will let you run it at 720p resolution, while the recommended system will run at 1080p. These are considerably modest gaming hardware requirements, but the Blizzard team have guaranteed the resolution and frame rates will be worth it.
Diablo 2 Resurrected is not yet available, but Blizzard is targeting a mid to late 2021 release, with the latest projected to be December 2021. Currently, the company is offering players with a Battle.net account the choice to opt-in for the technical Alpha.
Pre-Purchase and Prime Evil Collection
Diablo 2 Resurrected is available for pre-purchase for $39.99 Blizzard store. There is also a special Diablo Prime Evil Collection for $59.99 that will include the Diablo 3 Eternal Collection.
Want more information? Then "stay awhile and listen" for Xfire’s continued coverage of the Diablo 2 Resurrected HD remaster, including gameplay guides and news as they break!