It appears that development on Overwatch 2 is progressing nicely. Amidst concerns that the ongoing issues currently faced by Blizzard are affecting the development of the upcoming sequel to its popular squad-based shooter, Overwatch lead designer Geoff Goodman went on a pre-show broadcast before the start of the Overwatch League grand finals to show off Overwatch 2.
In particular, Goodman revealed all the upcoming changes coming to Bastion and Sombra in Overwatch 2.
According to Goodman, the studio focused on these two problematic heroes to make them easier to balance. For example, Goodman explained that the developers made Sombra more damage-focused. At the same time, Bastion was too reliant on staying stationary in turret mode so they found alternatives to make Bastion more functional without removing the essence of the hero.
What are the changes to Sombra in Overwatch 2?
According to Goodman, these are the changes to Sombra in Overwatch 2:
- Significantly shorter Manual Hack cooldown
- 8-second Hack with two new components:
- 1-second ability disable
- Reveals hacked targets through walls
- 50% more damage to hacked targets
- EMP will no longer remove all shields. Instead, Sombra's ultimate ability will do damage up to 40% of the current target's health.
- Invisible hacking after a brief reveal period.
What are the changes to Bastion in Overwatch 2?
Bastion is also going to go through a massive rework in Overwatch 2:
- Self-repair ability will be removed.
- New Tactical Grenade alternate fire:
- A projectile ability that bounces off walls and sticks to targets that will explode after a short time
- Reduced fire rate of Recon form gun with no spread
- Reworked ultimate ability to Artillery Mode
- Lets Bastion call down three artillery strikes to any point on the map
- Artillery strikes are considered projectiles. They can be blocked by shields, deflected by Genji, or negated using the Defense Matrix ability by D.Va
- Each artillery strike can do as much as 600 damages (300 on impact and 300 on explosion)
- Turret form now has a cooldown. Bastion can still move around.
When is Overwatch 2 going to release?
Overwatch League professionals have had a chance to test out early builds of Overwatch 2. Gladiators flex tank Indy Halpern, otherwise known as SPACE, praised how the game felt and commented how the Sombra rework will make Sombra mains even more dangerous.
Sombra and Bastion are just some of the heroes that Blizzard will rework for Overwatch 2. Other heroes include Winston and Mei. It's not just heroes that are going to go through changes either. Overwatch 2 will also switch up how roles work. For example, tanks will now have anti-crowd control passive abilities. Meanwhile, Overwatch 2 will give supports passive healing. Blizzard explains that this is all to help compensate for the move from 6v6 to 5v5 in Overwatch 2.
Overwatch 2 does not have a release date at the moment.