EA DICE has lived up to its earlier promise and today announced more details about the upcoming Battlefield title, which we now know will release in October 2021.
After referring to it as Battlefield 6 for months, EA DICE has confirmed the name of the next Battlefield game, Battlefield 2042. At the same time, the studio has described it as its most ambitious Battlefield game yet, boasting dynamic weather and a bevy of new toys in the form of vehicles and weapons to play with. Also, did we forget to mention that Battlefield 2042 will have 128-player maps?
If you'd like to know more about Battlefield 2042, we recommend that you scroll down below.
What Is The Battlefield 2042 Release Date?
After months of speculation, the release date for the next Battlefield release game has finally been confirmed.
Battlefield 2042 will launch on October 22, 2021. Contrary to earlier rumors, Battlefield 2042 will be available on both next-gen and previous-gen consoles, as well as PC. However, while the release date is many months away, Electronic Arts revealed that it plans on hosting a Battlefield 2042 beta for interested individuals, before the game is released.
Electronic Arts clarified that the beta period will be available to everyone, with additional, earlier access granted to those who pre-order Battlefield 2042.
Since Battlefield 2042 will release on October 22, 2021, it would be reasonable to expect the beta dates to fall between August and September. EA also plans on holding invite-only technical playtests in July, but did not give any information on how to register and gain access to Battlefield 2042 much earlier than everyone else.
For now, audiences can preorder Battlefield 2042 for $60 for the PS4 and Xbox One, with next-gen versions priced at $70. Battlefield 2042 is also available in Gold and Ultimate editions for a higher price. Perhaps most important of all is that Battlefield 2042 will be available at launch on the PC via multiple platforms, including Steam and the Epic Games Store, on top of Origin.
Is There a Battlefield 2042 Trailer Available?
EA formally pulled back the curtains on Battlefield 2042 on June 9 earlier this year. The reveal came with a five-minute trailer that showed off the near-future setting of the next Battlefield game. As expected from the popular shooter franchise, the publisher is all-in on the "all-out warfare", with the variety of different locales shown off in the trailer.
In terms of graphics, EA claims that the initial showcase of Battlefield 2042 all came from in-engine footage. Although this doesn't mean that what we saw is exactly what the game will look like, how good the trailer looked is encouraging. Hopefully, EA shows off real-time gameplay footage soon, either at E3 2021 or EA Play Live 2021.
If nothing else, the latest Battlefield reveal trailer did show off many features that we'll get to see in Battlefield 2042. This includes everything from near-future weaponry to wingsuits and even robots, as well as scripted events in different maps that extreme weather conditions and a full-scale rocket launch.
What's New in Battlefield 2042?
EA has confirmed numerous times before how Battlefield 2042 will represent the "next generation of Battlefield".
True enough, Battlefield 2042 will add several huge changes to the franchise, including:
- No single-player campaign. Battlefield 2042 will be a pure multiplayer experience.
- Large-scale warfare on 128-player maps (next-gen consoles and PC only).
- A near-future setting in 2042 where the world is on the brink of collapse and the United States and Russia are at odds with each other. Players will get to choose between either side as they attempt to restore balance and ease tensions across the world.
- EA confirmed that Battlefield 2042 will not feature a battle royale mode. Instead, it will come with a healthy mix of classic Battlefield modes like Breakthrough and Conquest with new modes such as Hazard Zone and a secret mode, to be revealed soon, from DICE's Los Angeles studio.
- PS4 and Xbox One copies of Battlefield 2042 will be limited to playing in smaller maps with a 64-player maximum capacity.
- Battlefield 2042 will include scripted real-time events that will include everything from rocket launches, sandstorms, to tornadoes, all of which will have a huge impact on the gameplay and the layout of the map.
- Battlefield 2042 will have different playable characters known as Specialists that each has its own unique abilities and tools. EA plans to make a total of 10 specialists available for Battlefield 2042 at launch. The Specialists will replace the traditional "classes".
- Improved weapon customization is among the many changes coming to Battlefield 2042. In particular, the Plus System will let players tweak loadouts in the middle of a game, without having to respawn.
Does Battlefield 2042 Have a Battle Royale Mode?
EA's previous attempt at a battle royale mode flunked hard with Firestorm failing to make Battlefield V more relevant when it was released in 2019. Perhaps because of this, EA isn't planning on launching a dedicated battle royale mode to Battlefield 2042 at the time of its launch. However, EA didn't completely rule out the possibility of adding a battle royale mode down the track.
Will EA Play Pro Subscribers Get Battlefield 2042 Free?
Yes. If you have an active EA Play Pro subscription, you'll get Battlefield 2042 for free.
Here is a list of all the Battlefield 2042-related benefits that you will enjoy if you are subscribed to EA Play Pro when the game launches:
- Full access to the Ultimate Edition of Battlefield 2042 on October 15, 2021, instead of October 22, 2021
- The Ultimate Edition will include:
- Early access (October 15)
- Early open beta access (TBD)
- Baku ACB-90 melee takedown knife
- "Mr. Chompy" Epic weapon charm
- "Landfall" player card background
- "Old Guard" tag
- Year 1 Pass Pack (comes with 4 new Specialists, 4 Battle Passes, and 3 Epic skin bundles)
- Midnight Ultimate Bundle
- "Shadow Stalker" Legendary outfit
- "Obsidian" Legendary weapon skin
- "Onyx" Legendary vehicle skin
- Official digital artbook
- Exclusive digital soundtrack
This is on top of other EA Play Pro perks such as exclusive monthly members-only rewards and a 10% discount on EA digital content.